- Looking for friendship in the bible -- Philosophers and clerics -- Premodern nuns -- Gossips and soul mates -- Precious ladies -- Patriotic friendships -- Romantic friendships -- Quilt, pray, club -- College girls, city girls, and the new woman -- Eleanor roosevelt and her friends -- From couplehood to sisterhood -- Friendtimacy -- Give and take : friendship in a market economy -- Can women and men be "just friends"?
- Examines the history of female friendship, looking at how women were once considered to be incapable of the highest forms of friendship, and how they were able to co-opt this relationship ideal for themselves over the years. --Publisher's description.
- 9780062265500 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Robert E. and Joyce L. Umbaugh Libraries Endowment for the Penn State DuBois Campus Library; 2015
View MARC record | catkey: 16013035