Vilcabamba and the archaeology of Inca resistance / Brian S. Bauer, Javier Fonseca Santa Cruz, Miriam Aráoz Silva
- Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press monographs ; monograph 81
- An introduction to Vilcabamba / Brian S. Bauer -- Settlement patterns and excavations in the Vitco region / Brian S. Bauer and Miriam Aráoz Silva -- The Yurak Rumi shrine complex / Brian S. Bauer and Miriam Aráoz Silva -- Introduction to the site of Espíritu Pampa / Brian S. Bauer -- Excavations at Tendi Pampa (Espíritu Pampa) in 2008 and 2009 / Javier Fonseca Santa Cruz and Brian S. Bauer -- Other excavations at the site of Espíritu Pampa in 2008 and 2009 / Javier Fonseca Santa Cruz and Brian S. Bauer -- Excavations at Espíritu Pampa in 2010 / Brian S. Bauer and Miriam Aráoz Silva -- Appendix 1: The results of radiocarbon tests run on charcoal recovered in Inca buildings at the site of Espíritu Pampa.
- "The sites of Vitcos and Espíritu Pampa are two of the most important Inca cities within the remote Vilcabamba region of Peru. The province has gained notoriety among historians, archaeologists and other students of the Inca, since it was from here that the last independent Incas waged a nearly forty year-long war (AD 1536-1572) against Spanish control of the Andes. Building on three years of excavation and two years of archival work, the authors discuss the events that took place in this area, speaking to the complex relationships that existed between the Europeans and Andeans during the decades that Vilcabamba was the final stronghold of the Inca empire. This has long been a topic of interest for the public; the results of the first large scale, scientific research conducted in the region will be illuminating for scholars as well as for general readers who are enthusiasts of this period of history and archaeology"--Provided by publisher.
- Incas—Peru—Vilcabamba Mountains Region—Antiquities
- Excavations (Archaeology)—Peru—Vilcabamba Mountains Region
- Vilcabamba Mountains Region (Peru)—Antiquities
- Vilcabamba Mountains Region (Peru)—History, Military—16th century
- Vilcabamba Mountains Region (Peru)—Ethnic relations—History—16th century
- 9781938770036 paperback and 193877003X paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16199410