Calculation of improved spallation cross sections
- Tsao, C. H.
- Aug 1, 1985.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Letaw, J. R. and Silberberg, R.
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Several research groups have recently carried out highly precise measurements (to about 10 percent) of high-energy nuclear spallation cross sections. These measurements, above 5 GeV, cover a broad range of elements: V, Fe, Cu, Ag, Ta and Au. Even the small cross sections far off the peak of the isotopic distribution curves have been measured. The semiempirical calculations are compared with the measured values. Preliminary comparisons indicate that the parameters of our spallation relations (Silberberg and Tsao, 1973) for atomic numbers 20 to 83 need modifications, e.g. a reduced slope of the mass yield distribution, broader isotopic distributions, and a shift of the isotopic distribution toward the neutron-deficient side. The required modifications are negligible near Fe and Cu, but increase with increasing target mass.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 19850026577.
Accession ID: 85N34890.
19th Intern. Cosmic Ray Conf - Vol. 3; p 103-106; NASA-CP-2376-VOL-3.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 16201222