The soul of the marionette : a short inquiry into human freedom / John Gray
- Gray, John, 1948-
- Additional Titles:
- Short inquiry into human freedom and Human freedom
- New York : Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2015.
- First American edition.
- Physical Description:
- 179 pages ; 22 cm
- The faith of puppets: The freedom of the marionette ; the faith of puppets ; demiurgy and tailors' dummies ; Leopardi and the souls of machines ; the return of Ligeia ; The Golem and the circular ruins ; Solaris and our world ; The revelations of Philip K. Dick ; Entering the Zone ; Mr Weston drops a match -- In the puppet theatre: Roof gardens, feathers and human sacrifice ; Dark mirrors, hidden angels and an algorithmic prayer-wheel ; Human redundancy and the cyborg economy ; An iron mountain and a shifting spectacle ; A universal Panopticon ; Puppetry, conspiracy and Ouija boards ; When the machine stops -- Freedom for Über-marionettes: What science won't tell you ; Ethics for puppets ; Gravity and the fall.
- In The Soul of the Marionette, his brilliantly enjoyable and freewheeling book, John Gray draws together the religious, philosophic, and fantastical traditions that question the very idea of human freedom.
- 9780374261184 (hardcover)
- "Originally published in 2015 by Allen Lane, an imprint of Penguin Books, Great Britain"--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 169-179).
View MARC record | catkey: 16218537