Roma-Gypsy presence in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, 15th-18th centuries / Lech Mróz
- Mróz, Lech
- Budapest ; New York : Central European University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 321 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- The arrival of the Gypsies to Poland -- Documents -- Gypsies in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 16th century -- Documents -- Piotr Rotemberg : a Philistine from Egypt minor, with his company -- Documents -- "That there should be no Gypsies in the crown" : times of repressions -- Documents -- Cultural adaptation of Gypsies in the 17th century -- Documents -- Gypsy kings and elders -- Documents -- Gypsies as a criminal element in the 18th century -- Documents -- Gypsies at the landed properties of the Sanguszko and Radziwill families -- Documents -- Conclusions -- Source materials -- List of tables -- List of Gypsy overlords.
- History of the Roma on the territory of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 15th-18th centuries. The argument is based on a thorough analysis of a number of original and previously unpublished documents that are included in the second part of the book. It verifies some clichéd views concerning the social status of Romani people in Eastern Europe, especially concerning their relationships with the state authorities. Through a careful interpretation and reinterpretation of documents pertaining to the Roma history, this work contributes towards re-evaluation of self-definition of Romani people in contemporary Europe. It also aims at providing material for Romani educational resources.
- 9786155053511 hardbound
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the George K. and Anna I. Yonchuk and John G., Sr. and Agnes A. Yonchuk Libraries Endowment in Russian Studies; 2015.
Purchased with funds from the George K. and Anna I. Yonchuk and John G., Sr. and Agnes A. Yonchuk Libraries Endowment in Russian Studies; 2015
- Endowment Note:
- George K. and Anna I. Yonchuk and John G., Sr. and Agnes A. Yonchuk Libraries Endowment in Russian Studies
View MARC record | catkey: 16406655