Tribal : college football and the secret heart of America / Diane Roberts
- Roberts, Diane, 1959-
- New York, NY : Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 246 pages : illustration ; 24 cm
- Pregame -- First quarter. Tribal boundaries ; Who the hell are we? ; At the creation ; Clean, old-fashioned hatred ; Big game -- Second quarter. Old-time religion ; Consecrated ground ; God is my offensive coordinator ; Muscular Christianity ; Gator Galahad -- Halftime. Death of a drum major -- Third quarter. The gender bowl ; The ladies auxiliary -- Fourth quarter. Jaboo wins ; The plantation ; Fighting the war all over again ; The Southern way of life ; The fall of the House of Bowden -- Postgame.
- "Both dispatch and dissertation, NPR contributor Diane Roberts, an English professor at Florida State University, gives a insider's account of a big time college football program in the midst of controversy, while examining the impact and legacy of the sport's popularity in America today"--
- 9780062342621 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -233) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16415917