Intercultural communication in the Chinese workplace / Ping Du.
- Du, Ping, 1970-
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 234 pages ; 23 cm
- 1. Introduction -- 2. The Multi-Level Model: The Analytical Framework -- 3. Cultural Self Perception: The Explanatory Framework -- 4. The Management Crisis -- 5. Interactive Strategies for Conflict Management -- 6. The Expatriate Participants' Relational Strategies -- 7. The Chinese Participants' Speech Act Strategies -- 8. Coordinated Turn-taking as Problem Talk Strategy -- 9. Contextual Factors as Relational Strategies -- 10. Conclusion.
- "China's sharp economic growth at the beginning of the twenty-first century has resulted in an increasing number of people from the other countries moving to work in China. This inevitably highlights the cultural differences that are apparent between China and other global workplace cultures. This book proposes a new theoretical and methodological approach to the investigation and explanation of intercultural differences in conflict management strategies and relational (politeness) strategies in workplace settings, taking the Chinese workplace as its focus. Drawing upon social psychology, sociolinguistics and discourse analysis, the book analyses various types of data such as recordings of meetings, participant interviews, organizational documents and emails to offer a new research approach that has relevance for researchers and scholars of intercultural communication globally"--
- Business communication—China—Cross-cultural studies
- Intercultural communication—China
- Communication in organizations—China—Cross-cultural studies
- Communication in management—China—Cross-cultural studies
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Communication Studies
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / Sociolinguistics
- 9781137381033 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16417776