The prettiest girl on stage is a man : race and gender benders in American vaudeville / Kathleen B. Casey
- Casey, Kathleen B.
- Knoxville : The University of Tennessee Press, 
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 210 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Acknowledgments -- Introduction: "the people's art" in the modern world -- Sex, savagery, and the woman who made vaudeville famous -- "Making a woman of himself" : Julian Eltinge and the hyperwhite lady -- "She is what she aint" : Lillyn Brown and the meaning of black male impersonation -- "The Jewish girl with a colored voice" : Sophie Tucker and the sound and shape of transgression -- Epilogue -- Notes -- Bibliography -- Index.
- 9781621901655 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 187-197) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16419765