Gates of the Lord : The Tradition of Krishna Paintings / edited by Madhuvanti Ghose ; with essays by Amit Ambalal, Madhuvanti Ghose, Kalyan Krishna, Tryna Lyons, and Anita B. Shah ; and contributions by Emilia Bachrach
- Chicago, Illinois : Art Institute of Chicago, 
New Haven : Yale University Press.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 176 pages ; 32 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Ghose, Madhuvanti, Ambalal, Amit, 1943-, Krishna, Kalyan, Lyons, Tryna, Shah, Anita, Bachrach, Emilia, and Art Institute of Chicago
- Introduction. Nathdwara : A Personal Journey / Madhuvanti Ghose -- The Tilkayats as Patrons : History and Painting in Nathdwara / Amit Ambalal -- Pichvais : Narrative Textiles and Their Origins / Kalyan Krishna -- Devotion and Patronage : The Story of a Pushtimarg Family / Anita B. Shah -- The Nathdwara Artists at Work / Tryna Lyons -- The Sanctum of Shrinathji -- Catalogue -- TiLkayats of the Pushtimarg.
- "The Pushtimarg, a Hindu sect established in India in the 15th century, possesses a unique culture--reaching back centuries and still vital today--in which art and devotion are deeply intertwined. This volume, illustrated with nearly 200 vivid images, offers a new, in-depth look at the Pushtimarg and its rich aesthetic traditions, which are largely unknown outside of Asia. Original essays by eminent scholars of Indian art focus on the style of worship, patterns of patronage, and artistic heritage that generated pichhvais, large paintings on cloth designed to hang in temples, as well as other paintings for the Pushtimarg. In this study, the authors examine how pichhvais were and still are used in the seasonal and daily veneration of Shrinathji, an aspect of Krishna as a child who is the chief deity of the temple town of Nathdwara in Rajasthan. Gates of the Lord introduces readers not only to the visual world of the Pushtimarg, but also to the spirit of Nathdwara"--
- Krishna (Hindu deity)—Art—Exhibitions
- Krishna ((Hindu deity))
- Nathji Temple (Nāthdwāra, India)—Exhibitions
- Hindu painting—India—Nāthdwāra—Exhibitions
- Vallabhachars—Religious life—India—Nāthdwāra—Exhibitions
- ART / Asian
- ART / Subjects & Themes / Religious
- ART / Collections, Catalogs, Exhibitions / General
- RELIGION / Hinduism / Rituals & Practice
- 9780300214727 hardcover
- "Gates of the Lord: The Tradition of Krishna Paintings was published in conjunction with an exhibition of the same title organized by and presented at the Art Institute of Chicago, September 13, 2015/January 3, 2016."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 16610433