A counselor's guide to working with men / [edited by] Matt Englar-Carlson, Marcheta P. Evans, Thelma Duffey
- Alexandria, VA : American Counseling Association, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Englar-Carlson, Matt, Evans, Marcheta P., and Duffey, Thelma
- A Counselor's Guide to Working with Men; Table of Contents; Foreword; Preface; Acknowledgments; About the Editors; About the Contributors; Chapter 1: Introduction: A Primer on Counseling Men; Learning About Men and Counseling Through the Experiences of Philip; Conceptualizing Masculinities; Understanding Manhood; Envisioning Masculinities; Men Integrate Multiple Identities Across the Life Span; Assessing Masculine Socialization in Counseling; Assessing Philip's Masculinity; Men and Help Seeking; What Can Counselors Do?; Philip's Help-Seeking Pathway; Presenting Concerns of Men; Depression, Substance AbuseViolence, Aggression, Childhood Abuse, and Trauma; Philip's Presenting Concerns; Engaging Men in Counseling; Explore Expectations About Counseling; Emotions in Counseling; Make Masculine-Friendly Adjustments to Counseling Practice; Adopt a Strengths-Based Perspective; Engaging Philip to Guide Him Toward a Successful Outcome; Conclusion: Being a Provider of Quality Counseling Services for Men; References; Part One: Specialized Modalities and Settings; Chapter 2: Male-Sensitive Couples Counseling; Men's Ambivalence About Couples Counseling, Recommendations for Building the Counseling RelationshipAddress the Male Partner's Ambivalence in the Initial Session; Demonstrate Balance; Use Gender-Sensitive Language; Recommendations for Deepening the Counseling Process; Help Men Express Feelings; Use Gender Inquiry to Facilitate Empathy; The Role of Culture; Male-Sensitive Counseling Case Examples; Case Vignette: Abbey and Michael (Counselor: David); Case Analysis by Roberta; Case Vignette: Jonathan and Marty (Counselor: Roberta); Case Analysis by David; Conclusion; References; Chapter 3: Counseling Men in Groups, Men's-Group Counseling: A Brief HistoryThe Core Issues Addressed by Men's Groups; Getting Men to the Group; Recruiting Group Members; Motivating Mandated Group Members; Stages of a Men's Therapy Group; Early Stages of the Group; Middle Stage of the Group; Later Stage of the Group; Special Issues and Recommendations for Leadership; Interpersonal Facilitation; Approach Flexibility; Knowledge of the Psychology of Men; Counselor Self-Awareness; Cofacilitation; Women Leading Men's Groups; Addressing Multiple Cultural Identities; Conclusion; References, and Chapter 4: The Changing Nature of Work in Men's Lives: Implications for CounselingHigh Unemployment Rates Among Men and the Relationship to Mental Health Issues; The Changing Workplace and Its Impact on Traditional Men; Men in Gender Nontraditional Careers; Stay-at-Home Fathers; Work-Family Balance; Implications for Counselors; Understanding Our Own Biases About Men and Work; The Need for Nontraditional Ways of Reaching Out to Men; Developing Effective Group Interventions for Men; Building on Skills; Conclusion; References; Chapter 5: Counseling Men About Their Health
- 9781119026501 electronic bk.
1119026504 electronic bk.
9781119221593 electronic bk.
1119221595 electronic bk.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16618947