The autism revolution : whole-body strategies for making life all it can be / Martha Herbert, with Karen Weintraub
- From seeing what you believe to believing what you see -- Take a fresh look at autism. Go for the extraordinary ; Know what you can't control-- and what you can -- Protect and nourish the whole body : from vicious circles to resilience. Repair and support cells and cycles ; Get gut and immune systems on your side ; Help the body mend the brain ; Calm brain chaos -- Transcend autism : share the strengths and lose the pain. Join your child's world ; From autistic to extraordinary ; Lead the revolution! ; Do it for yourself, your next baby, your family, and your world -- Appendixes. A, Ten tips for helping people with autism ; B, Sample forms for tracking your data ; C. Whole-body systems summary ; D, Ten tips for doctors, therapists, and scientists.
- After years of treating patients and analyzing scientific data, Harvard researcher and clinician Dr. Martha Herbert offers a revolutionary new view of autism and a transformative strategy for dealing with it. Autism is not a hardwired impairment programmed into a child's genes and destined to remain fixed forever. Instead, it is the result of a cascade of events, many seemingly minor. And while other doctors may dismiss your child's physical symptoms as coincidental or irrelevant, Dr. Herbert sees them as vital clues to what the underlying problems are, and how to help. Here, she teaches you how to approach autism as a collection of problems that can be overcome--and talents that can be developed. Each success you achieve gives your child more room to become healthy and to thrive. Her specific recommendations aim to provide optimal nutrition, reduce toxic exposures, shore up the immune system, reduce stress, and open the door to learning and creativity--all by understanding and truly meeting your child's needs. As thousands of families who have cobbled together these solutions themselves already know, this program can have dramatic benefits--for your child with autism, and for you, your whole family, and your next baby as well.--From publisher description.
- Autism in children—Nutritional aspects
- Autism in children—Treatment
- Autism in children—Psychological aspects
- Self-care, Health
- HEALTH & FITNESS / Children's Health
- PSYCHOLOGY / Psychopathology / Autism Spectrum Disorders
- MEDICAL / General
- Autistic Disorder—diet therapy
- Autistic Disorder—psychology
- Autism—Psychological aspects
- Health self-care
- Autisme infantile—Aspect nutritionnel
- Autisme infantile—Traitement
- Autisme infantile—Aspect psychologique
- 9780345527196 (alk. paper)
0345527194 (alk. paper)
- "Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School."
Description based on surrogate.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16621168