The Handy English grammar answer book / Christine A. Hult
- Hult, Christine A.
- Detroit : Visible Ink Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 419 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- "Handy" series
- Preface and acknowledgments -- Introduction -- 1. The roots of modern English -- 2. The English language and language change -- 3. Important grammatical concepts and terms -- 4. Sentence structure -- 5. Spelling correctly -- 6. Using punctuation correctly -- 7. Using mechanics correctly -- 8. Writing effective and correct sentences -- 9. Using words effectively and correctly -- 10. Academic writing -- 11. Writing in sciences and technology -- 12. Writing in social sciences -- 13. Writing in the arts and humanities -- 14. Business writing -- 15. Learning English as a second language -- 16. English in the electronic age -- Bibliography -- Appendix A. Irregular verb chart -- Appendix B. Idiomatic expressions -- Appendix C. Homophones -- Appendix D. English prepositions -- Appendix E. Misused homophones -- Appendix F. Frequently misspelled words -- Appendix G. Wordy phrases -- Appendix H. Frequently confused word pairs -- Appendix I: Twenty common grammar gremlins and how to fix them -- Appendix J. Famous quotations on writing and grammar -- Appendix K. Model papers -- Appendix L. Model bibliography styles -- Index.
- "Whether it's for a professional document, a school paper, an Internet blog, or something more personal, effective communication depends on clear, concise, and grammatically correct writing. Punctuation, spelling, and grammar rules can trip up anyone, while organization and word choice can make writing memorable--or banal. Whether you are writing a term paper, a scientific article, a resume, a business email, a text message, or presenting information in the social media, The Handy English Grammar Answer Book is an engaging guide to writing with clarity. It offers fundamental principles, grammar rules, and punctuation advice, as well as insights on writing for different occasions and audiences. From a brief history of the English language to the deconstruction--and explanation--of the different parts of a sentence, and from showing how to punctuate correctly to how to organize a well-argued essay, this easy-to-use reference answers nearly 500 questions and offers fun facts on the English language and its usage, including ... How did language begin?How did English become a language spoken worldwide?What is Middle English?How did Noah Webster affect the English language?What efforts have been made toward reforming spelling?Are there any language universals?What is an adverb?What is a compound sentence?What is a dialect?What is jargon?What is a noun?What is a split infinitive?What is passive voice and when should you avoid it?Why are English words so hard to spell?What is the i-before-e ruleHow do I use commas correctly in sentences?When should I use parentheses?How do I use capitalization on the Internet?When do I use that versus which ?What types of dictionaries are there?How do I find the right level of formality in my writing style?What is a sentence fragment?What is a misused modifier?Should I use its or it's?What is academic writing?What is the difference between primary and secondary research?How do I respect copyright laws?How do I use materials ethically on my own websites?What is plagiarism and how do I avoid it?How do I plan a structure for my term paper?How do I write an outline?How do I avoid writer's block?What is considered good essay form?How do I write business emails?Should I include personal data in a resume?What is netiquette ?How do I write an effective blog? For speakers and writers of all ages and skill levels, The Handy English Grammar Answer Book brings you straightforward explanations, tips on avoiding and fixing grammatical mistakes, as well as numerous examples of good writing. This helpful book includes an appendix of model papers, letters and sample writing for every occasion--from business or social communications to academic papers or Internet forums. Appendices on irregular verbs, idioms, homophones, prepositions, frequently misspelled words, wordy phrases, frequently confused word pairs, and other common mistakes bring a deeper understanding to readers. There is also a glossary of commonly used terms, a bibliography, and an index." --Publisher description.
- 9781578595204 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16624644