The dementia caregiver : a guide to caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease and other neurocognitive disorders / Marc E. Agronin
- Agronin, Marc E.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Physical Description:
- 289 pages ; 24 cm.
- Guides to caregiving
- Normal and abnormal cognitive changes -- Seeking an answer : state-of-the-art evaluation -- The spectrum of neurocognitive disorders -- Alzheimer's disease -- Vascular dementia -- Frontotemporal dementia -- Dementia with Lewy bodies -- Medical causes of neurocognitive disorders -- Caregiving during mild stages -- Caregiving during moderate stages -- Caregiving during advanced stages -- Depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and apathy -- Agitation and psychosis -- Dealing with common medical issues -- Caring for the caregiver -- Legal issues -- Long-term care -- Resources.
- Becoming a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's disease or another neurocognitive disorder can be an unexpected, undesirable, underappreciated--and yet noble--role. It is heartbreaking to watch someone lose the very cognitive capacities that once helped to define them as a person. But because of the nature of these disorders, the only way to become an effective caregiver and cope with the role's many daily challenges is to become well-informed about the disease. With the right information, resources and tips on caregiving and working with professionals, you can become your own expert at both caring for your charge and taking care of yourself. In these pages, the author guides readers to a better understanding of the changes their loved one may be going through and helps them tap into the various resources available to them as they embark on an uncertain caregiving journey.--Publisher description.
- 9781442231917 (cloth : alk. paper)
1442231912 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16624844