Proverbs / Ernest C. Lucas
- Lucas, Ernest
- Grand Rapids, Michigan : William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 407 pages ; 24 cm.
- Introduction. What is wisdom? -- What is a proverb? -- The structure of the Book of Proverbs -- Authorship and date -- Literary forms in Proverbs -- Ancient Near Eastern wisdom literature -- The origin of Proverbs -- Texts and Versions. Commentary: Proverbs 1-31. Theological Horizons of Proverbs. Acts and Consequences in Proverbs -- Characters in Proverbs -- Family, friends and neighbors in Proverbs -- God and Proverbs -- The personification of wisdom in Proverbs -- The spirituality of Proverbs -- Wealth and poverty in Proverbs -- Wisdom and Christology -- Wisdom and creation -- Words in Proverbs and New Testament
- In this commentary Ernest Lucas elucidates the book of Proverbs both exegetically and thematically. Explicating the text in light of its ancient Near Eastern context, Lucas also shows the relevance of Proverbs for the twenty-first century, speaking as it does to such issues as character formation, gender relations, wealth and poverty, interpersonal communication, science and religion, and care for the environment. Lucas uniquely identifies "proverbial clusters" in his critical exegesis of the biblical text and uses them as the basis for interpreting individual proverbs. Several substantial theological essays at the end of the book illuminate major ethical, pastoral, and spiritual themes in Proverbs. Lucas's theological commentary is perfect for pastors, teachers, and students. -
- 9780802827104 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0802827101 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 383-392) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 16625284