Moquis and Kastiilam : Hopis, Spaniards, and the trauma of history / edited by Thomas E. Sheridan, Stewart B. Koyiyumptewa, Anton Daughters, Dale S. Brenneman, T.J. Ferguson, Leigh Kuwanwisiwma, and Lee Wayne Lomayestewa
- Tucson : The University of Arizona Press, -
- Physical Description:
- volumes : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Sheridan, Thomas E., Koyiyumptewa, Stewart B., Daughters, Anton, Brenneman, Dale S., Ferguson, T. J. (Thomas John), 1950-, Kuwanwisiwma, Leigh J., and Lomayestewa, Lee Wayne
- Machine generated contents note: I.First Encounters, 1540--1605 -- Coronado's Soldiers Encounter the Hopis and the Grand Canyon, 1540 -- The Account of Pedro de Castaneda de Najera (1560s) -- Interview with Clark Tenakhongva, November 21, 2002 -- The Expedition of Antonio de Espejo in 1582--1583 -- Diego Perez de Lujan's Account of Antonio de Espejo's Entrada to the Hopi Pueblos and Mineral Deposits, 1583 -- Juan de Onate's Colonization of New Mexico -- The Hopis "Voluntarily" Pledge Their Loyalty and Vassalage to the King of Spain, November 15, 1598 -- Marcos Farfan de los Godos's Search for Mines from the Hopi Mesas -- The Sentence and Punishment of the Indians of Acoma, 1599 -- Juan de Onate's Expedition to the Hopi Mesas and the Colorado River: The Account of Padre Fray Francisco de Escobar, 1605 -- II.Abusive Quests: Missionaries and Encomenderos Among the Hopis, 1629--1680 -- Missionaries Among the Hopis -- Padre Fray Esteban de Perea's Account of the Grand Conversion of New Mexico, 1632 -- Excerpts from the Benavides Memorial of 1634 -- The Investigation of Padre Fray Salvador de Guerra for Whipping and Scalding a Hopi Man to Death with Turpentine, 1655 -- Leigh Kuwanwisiwma Talks About the Torture and Death of Sitkoyma of Orayvi for Holding a Niman Ceremony for Hopi Brides -- Franciscans Against Governors: The Dirty Laundry of the Inquisition -- Charges Against Governor Don Diego de Penalosa, 1663 -- Penalosa Accuses Padre Fray Alonso de Posada of Killing a Hopi Man Who Was "Harassing" a Young Hopi Woman with Whom Posada Had a "Wicked Friendship," 1665 -- Missionary Abuses of Hopi Labor and Hopi Women: Excerpt from the Hopi CRATT Workshop, Monday, October 19, 2009 -- Civil and Legal Administration: The Trial of Juan Suni, 1659 -- Encomiendas in Nuevo Mexico, Including Hopi -- The Testimony of Pedro Lucero de Godoy Against Francisco Gomez Robledo, 1663 -- The Encomienda of Awat'ovi: Excerpts from the Testimony of Andres Lopez Zambrano, 1664 -- The Katsina Religion and the Pueblo World -- The Testimony of Esteban Clemente: Katsinas and the Inquisition -- The Interrogation of Nicolas de Aguilar by the Inquisition: Excerpts Concerning Katsinam at Hopi -- Charges Against Nicolas de Aguilar, Alcalde Mayor of Tajique, Mexico, October 19, 1663 -- Conclusion and Prelude: The Power of Song in Hopi Culture -- Interview with Former Vice-Chairman Elgean Joshevama, November 7, 2002.
- "This two-volume history compares and contrasts Spanish documents about the people the Spaniards called 'Moquis' with oral traditions about the intruders the Hopis called 'Kastiilam' in order to present a more balanced interpretation of their shared past"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780816531844 (hardcover alkaline paper) and 0816531846 (hardcover alkaline paper)
- Volume I. 1540-1679.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16629210