Fostering habits of mind in today's students : a new approach to developmental education / edited by Jennifer Fletcher, Adela Najarro, and Hetty Yelland ; foreword by Emily Lardner
- Discovering assets -- Creating communities -- Engaging learners -- Building confidence -- Developing students' self-efficacy -- Promoting transfer of learning.
- In the recent push to help more students not only access but also achieve their college dreams, one thing is clear-students need more than just academic skills for college and career success. They need to develop the habits of mind that lead to lifelong, integrative learning. Intellectual qualities like curiosity, openness, flexibility engagement, and persistence are the key to transferrable competencies; yet, these qualities are seldom given direct attention in college classrooms. This lack of instructional focus on the "soft skills" critical to postsecondary success poses a challenge for many students who enter college. This contributed volume aims to pull back the curtain on the behind-the-scenes processes I hat go into academic brainwork. The chapters present a progressive instructional cycle, which starts with students discovering their assets and ends with students transferring their learning to new tasks and situations. Throughout this book, readers will and habits-of-mind-based strategies for helping all students-including low-income, multilingual, and first-generation college students-overcome obstacles on the path to degree completion.
- 9781620361795 (cloth ; alk. paper), 1620361795 (cloth ; alk. paper), 9781620361801 (pbk. ; alk. paper), and 1620361809 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Class of 1960 Libraries Endowment; 2015
View MARC record | catkey: 16637143