A strategic vision for NSF investments in Antarctic and Southern Ocean Research / Committee on the Development of a Strategic Vision for the U.S. Antarctic Program, Polar Research Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 143 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (U.S.). Committee on the Development of a Strategic Vision for the U.S. Antarctic Program and National Research Council (U.S.). Polar Research Board
- National Academies Press: www.nap.edu
- Opportunities and Challenges of Antarctic and Southern Ocean Research -- Suggested Research Priorities for the Coming Decade -- Foundations for a Robust Antarctic and Southern Ocean Research Program -- Appendix A: Committee Member Bio-sketches -- Appendix B: Statement of Task -- Appendix C: Overview of Outcomes from the Report: *Future Science Opportunities in Antarctica and the Southern Ocean* (NRC, 2011a) -- Appendix D: Overview of Outcomes from the Report: *More and Better Science in Antarctica Through Increased Logistical Effectiveness* (BRP, 2012) -- Appendix E: Schedule of Outreach Sessions Held to Gather Community Input for This Study -- Appendix F: Speakers at the Committee Meetings
- "Antarctic and Southern Ocean scientific research has produced a wide array of important and exciting scientific advances. Spanning oceanography to tectonics, microbiology to astrophysics, the extreme Antarctic environment provides unique opportunities to expand our knowledge about how our planet works and even the very origins of the universe. Research on the Southern Ocean and the Antarctic ice sheets is becoming increasingly urgent not only for understanding the future of the region but also its interconnections with and impacts on many other parts of the globe. The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) provides U.S. researchers with broad access to the continent and its surrounding ocean. A Strategic Vision for NSF Investments in Antarctic and Southern Ocean Research identifies priorities and strategic steps forward for Antarctic research and observations for the next decade. This survey presents a decadal vision for strategic investments in compelling research and the infrastructure most critical for supporting this research. This report makes recommendations for high-priority, larger-scale, community-driven research initiatives that address questions poised for significant advance with the next decades. This report also outlines a road map through which the vision and these priorities can be met"--Publisher's description.
- 0309373670 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 109-116).
- Other Forms:
- Also available online.
View MARC record | catkey: 16826544