Laboratory animal welfare [electronic resource] / edited by Kathryn Bayne, Patricia V. Turner
- American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine series
- History philosophies, and concepts of animal welfare / Emily Patterson-Kane, Gail C. Golab -- Ethics and animal welfare / Marilyn J. Brown -- Regulations, policies, and guidelines impacting laboratory animal welfare / Mary Ann Vasbinder, C. Terrance Hawk, B. Taylor Bennett -- Animal welfare assessment considerations / Bonnie V. Beaver, Kathryn Bayne -- Contemporary Issues in laboratory animal welfare / Leticia V. Medina, Penny Hawkins -- Laboratory animal welfare: International issues / Kathryn Bayne, A.C. David Bayvel, Virginia Williams -- Animal environments and their impact on laboratory welfare / Kathryn Bane, Patricia V. Turner -- Experimental design: reduction and refinement in studies using animals / Derek Fry -- Animal welfare considerations in biomedical research and testing / William S. Stokes, Daniel S. Marsman -- Preservation of animal welfare during unforeseen events / Michael J. Huerkamp, F. Claire Hankenson -- Euthanasia and laboratory animal welfare / Larry Carbone -- Rodent and rabbit welfare in research environment / Patricia V. Turner -- Nonhuman primate welfare in the research environment / Steven J. Schapiro, Kristine Coleman, Mercy Akinyi [and others] -- Dog and cat welfare in a research environment / Lavonne D. Meuner, Bonnie V. Beaver -- Agricultural animal welfare / Wendy J. Underwood, John J. McGlone, Janice Swanson [and others] -- Birds as laboratory animals / Joy A. Mench, Richard A. Blatchford -- Welfare of laboratory fishes / Steven A. Smith.
- Laboratory Animal Welfare provides a comprehensive, up-to-date look into the new science of animal welfare within laboratory research. Animals specifically considered include rodents, cats and dogs, nonhuman primates, agricultural animals, avian animals and aquatic animals. The book examines the impact of experiment design and environment on animal welfare, as well as emergency situations and euthanasia practices. Readers will benefit from a review of regulations and policy guidelines concerning lab animal use, as well as information on assessing animal welfare. With discussions of the history and ethics of animals in research, and a debate on contemporary and international issues, this book is a go-to resource for laboratory animal welfare.
- 9780123851048 (electronic bk.)
0123851041 (electronic bk.)
1299841104 (electronic bk.)
9781299841109 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16831920