Advances in geophysics. Volume 55 / series editor, Renata Dmowska
- Waltham, Maryland : Elsevier : AP, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (135 pages) : color illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Dmowska, Renata
- Front Cover; Advances in Geophysics; Advances in Geophysics; Copyright; Contents; Contributors; Seismic Tomography and the Assessment of Uncertainty; 1. Introduction; 1.1 Motivation; 1.2 Historical Perspective; 1.3 Uncertainty in the Age of Big Data; 2. Nonuniqueness in Seismic Tomography; 2.1 Data Coverage; 2.2 Data Noise; 2.3 The Parameterization Problem; 2.4 The Data Prediction Problem; 2.5 The Inverse Problem; 3. Practical Assessment Methods; 3.1 Covariance and Resolution; 3.2 Jackknife and Bootstrap; 3.3 Synthetic Reconstruction Tests; 3.4 Linear and Iterative Nonlinear Sampling., 3.5 Fully Nonlinear Sampling4. Case Studies; 4.1 Synthetic Reconstruction Test: Teleseismic Tomography Example; 4.2 Iterative Nonlinear Sampling: Surface Wave Tomography Example; 4.3 Transdimensional Inversion: Surface Wave Tomography Example; 4.4 Full Waveform Inversion: Resolution Analysis Based on Second-Order Adjoints; 5. Concluding Remarks; Acknowledgments; References; Two. El Niño/Southern Oscillation and Selected Environmental Consequences; 1 Introduction; 2 Fundamentals of El NiÑo/Southern Oscillation; 3 What Triggers El NiÑo/Southern Oscillation?, and 4 El NiÑo/Southern Oscillation in the Past5 El NiÑo/Southern Oscillation versus Selected Geophysical Processes and Their Predictions; 5.1 Earth Orientation and ENSO; 5.2 Climatological and Hydrological ENSO Teleconnections; 5.3 Sea Level Change and ENSO; 5.3.1 Global and Local Mean Sea Level; 5.3.2 Site-Specific Sea Level; 6 Concluding Remarks; Acknowledgments; References; Index.
- The critically acclaimed serialized review journal for over 50 years, Advances in Geophysics is a highly respected publication in the field of geophysics. Since 1952, each volume has been eagerly awaited, frequently consulted, and praised by researchers and reviewers alike. Now in its 55th volume, it contains much material still relevant today--truly an essential publication for researchers in all fields of geophysics. Key features: * Contributions from leading authorities * Informs and updates on all the latest developments in the field.
- 9780128003718 (e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16832312