Assessing language teachers' professional skills and knowledge / edited by Rosemary Wilson, Consultant, Cambridge English Language Assessment and Monica Poulter, Cambridge English Language Assessment
- Studies in language testing ; 42
- Machine generated contents note: Section 1 History and background -- 1.Introduction / Monica Poulter -- 2.A brief history of Cambridge English Language Assessment Teaching Qualifications / Alan Pulverness -- Section 2 Development and assessment -- 3.Good practice in INSET: An analysis of the Delta / David Albery -- 4.The role of portfolios in language teacher assessment / Neil Anderson -- 5.The `dirty mirror' of reflective practice: Assessing self- and peer- evaluation on a CELTA course / Jo-Ann Delaney -- 6.Capturing the ephemeral: Standardising the assessment of teaching practice / Marie Therese Swabey -- 7.Developing and assessing English language teacher trainers / Marie Morgan -- Section 3 Focus on the assessment of specific criteria -- 8.Teachers' language competence: Issues of appropriation and appropriacy / Monica Poulter -- 9.Language awareness: Research, planning, teaching and beyond / Martin Parrott -- 10.Thinking on their feet: Assessing teachers' flexibility and responsiveness in the language classroom / Rosemary Wilson -- 11.TKT: Testing knowledge about teaching / Mary Spratt -- Section 4 Assessment in context -- 12.Impact of TKT in Uruguay 2005--12 / Gerardo Valazza -- 13.Testing knowledge about content teaching in English / Kay Bentley -- 14.Using international teacher education programmes in local contexts / Alan Pulverness -- 15.Integrating theory and practice: The case of Delta at Bilkent University / Simon Phipps -- 16.Culture and context in the external assessment of teaching / David M Palfreyman -- Appendices -- Appendix A CELTA performance descriptors -- Appendix B Specifications for Delta Module Two assessment.
- "This volume charts the development of the Cambridge teaching qualifications and tests, and presents case studies demonstrating their impact. Described by teacher and teacher educator Scott Thornbury as 'a very welcome addition to the literature on teacher assessment', this edited volume discusses key issues in assessing language teachers' professional skills and knowledge. It also provides case study illustrations of how teacher knowledge and teaching skills are assessed at pre-service and in-service levels within the framework of the Cambridge English Teaching Qualifications, and includes examples of specific assessment procedures for both teaching knowledge and practical classroom skills"--
"The growth in English language teaching worldwide and the related increase in teacher training programmes of all kinds highlight the need for greater accountability in the assessment of teachers. The need for formal summative assessment has taken on greater importance in training programmes and requires procedures which do not always sit easily with the development process, while transparency of assessment procedures is also increasingly demanded by the candidates themselves. This edited volume discusses key issues in assessing language teachers' professional skills and knowledge and provides case study illustrations of how teacher knowledge and teaching skills are assessed at pre-service and in-service levels within the framework of the Cambridge English Teaching Qualifications. The volume provides: - discussion of ways in which the changing nature of English language teaching has impacted on teacher education and assessment - examples of specific assessment procedures for both teaching knowledge and practical classroom skills - accounts of the ways in which the Cambridge English Teaching Qualifications have been integrated into and adapted for local contexts. This is the first volume of its kind wholly dedicated to language teacher assessment and as such will be of interest to language teachers and teacher educators as well as to researchers and postgraduate students"--
- 9781107499782 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 16833389