The most exclusive club [electronic resource] : a history of the modern United States Senate / Lewis L. Gould
- Gould, Lewis L.
- New York : Basic Books, c2005.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 402 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- Great old personages : the Senate in 1900 -- The president and the Senate four -- La Follette challenges the Senate -- John Worth Kern and the New Freedom -- The Senate and the League of Nations -- Spearless leaders in the 1920s -- The Senate in the Depression -- The New Deal and the conservative club -- The Senate in wartime -- The Senate at mid-century -- The Senate club in the age of Joe Mccarthy -- Pawed all over : Lyndon Johnson and the Senate -- Mike Mansfield's Senate -- "Juggling too many balls" -- A ruder Senate -- Republican ascendancy at century's end -- Conclusion: The Senate and its future.
- 0465027784 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 9780465027781
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 373-378) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 16836243