The Exxon Valdez disaster : readings on a modern social problem / J. Steven Picou, Duane A. Gill, Maurie J. Cohen, editors and contributors ; foreword by Kai Erikson
- Dubuque, Iowa : Kendall/Hunt, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 339 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Picou, J. Steven, Gill, Duane A., and Cohen, Maurie J.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Technological disasters as a social problem : The Exxon Valdez oil spill -- Ecological and economic impacts -- Sociocultural and psychological impacts -- Continuing controversies : The press, litigation and restoration -- Glossary.
- The development of this volume reflects the collective research interests of the editors over the last seven years on the Exxon disaster in Alaska.... [Their] primary objective in compiling this volume was to provide a general introduction to the social problem of technological disasters in terms of a case study of the largest oil spill in North American history, the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.... [They] have used a number of these articles as required readings in courses such as social problems, environmental sociology, sociology of disasters, human ecology, the community, and environmental economics. Those reprinted in this text proved to be both informative and interesting to a broad cross-section of students from undergraduate to graduate.... This volume will be of interest to researchers and a broad spectrum of the general public. -Pref.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Action Note:
- committed to retain 20170930 20430101 HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org/shared_print_program
View MARC record | catkey: 1698497