The silent Qurʼan & the speaking Qurʼan : scriptural sources of Islam between history and fervor / Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi ; with contributions by Etan Kohlberg and Hasan Ansari ; translated by Eric Ormsby
- Amir-Moezzi, Mohammad Ali
- Uniform Title:
- Coran silencieux et le coran parlant. English
- Additional Titles:
- Silent Qurʼan and the speaking Qurʼan
- New York : Columbia University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 273 pages : genealogical tables ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Kohlberg, Etan
Anṣārī, Ḥasan, 1970 or 1971-
- Language Note:
- Translated from the French.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Violence and Scripture in the Book of Sulaym ibn Qays -- The Work and Its Putative Author -- A Book with Multiple Strata -- A Work of Enduring Popularity -- Fragments from the Book of Sulaym b. Qays -- Table of Contents of the Book of Sulaym b. Qays -- 2.Qur'anic Recensions and Political Tendencies: Al-Sayyari and His Book of Revelation and Falsification / Etan Kohlberg -- Questions Raised by Western Studies -- Uncertainties and Contradictions in the Islamic Sources -- The Falsification of the Qur'an According to Imami Shi'ites -- Al-Sayyari: Notes on His Life and Work -- Remarks on The Book of Revelation and Falsification or The Book of Variant Readings -- 3.The Necessity of Hermeneutics: On the Qur'anic Commentary of al-Hibari -- The Silent Qur'an and the Speaking Qur'an -- Al-Hibari and His Qur'anic Commentary -- Personalized Commentaries and the Beginnings of Esotericism -- 4.The Emergence of Gnosis: A Monograph on Knowledge Compiled by al-Saffar al-Qummi -- A Representative of a Double Period of Transition -- Some Significant Anomalies -- Table of Contents of the K. Basa'ir al-darajat -- 5.Perfecting a Religion: Remarks on al-Kulayni and His Summa of Traditions / Hasan Ansari -- The Scarcity of Direct Sources of Information Amid Countless Uncertainties -- Some Historical Points of Reference -- Biographical Elements -- Observations on the Work -- The Formation of an Entire Religion Set Apart.
- Sulaym ibn Qays, -approximately 705
- Sayyārī, Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad, active 9th century
- Ḥibarī, al-Ḥusayn ibn al-Ḥakam, -899 or 900
- Abū Jaʻfar al-Qummī, Muḥammad ibn al-Ḥasan, -902 or 903
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad ibn Yaʻqūb, -941?
- Qurʼan—Criticism, interpretation, etc—History—Middle Ages, 600-1500
- Qurʼan—Commentaries—History and criticism
- Hadith (Shiites)—Criticism, interpretation, etc
- 9780231173780 (cloth ; alk. paper)
0231173784 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 231-260) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17036440