The sky of our manufacture : the London fog in British fiction from Dickens to Woolf / Jesse Oak Taylor
- Taylor, Jesse O.
- Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 260 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Under the sign of nature: explorations in ecocriticism
- Introduction -- The novel as climate model. Realism after nature: reading the greenhouse effect in Bleak House -- Specters of capital: our mutual friend and the economy of smog -- Affecting an atmosphere: George Eliot and the climate of history -- Abnatural supernaturalism. Being impure: Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the polluted body -- The death is the life: Dracula and fossil fuels -- The science and fiction of detection in the global metropolis -- Climatic modernism. Planetary impressions: Joseph Conrad and the fiction of global connection -- Climatic modernism: Virginia Woolf and anthropocene literary history -- Epilogue: after London, or, metropolis earth.
- 9780813937922 (hardcover alkaline paper)
0813937922 (hardcover alkaline paper)
9780813937939 (paperback alkaline paper)
0813937930 (paperback alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2015
View MARC record | catkey: 17038683