Half-earth : our planet's fight for life / Edward O. Wilson
- Wilson, Edward O.
- New York : Liveright Publishing Corporation, a division of W.W. Norton & Company, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 259 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Part I. The problem. 1. The world ends, twice ; 2. Humanity needs a biosphere ; 3. How much biodiversity survives today? ; 4. An elegy for the rhinos ; 5. Apocalypses now ; 6. Are we as gods? ; 7. Why extinction is accelerating ; 8. The impact of climate change : land, sea, and air ; 9. The most dangerous worldview -- Part II. The real living world. 10. Conservation science ; 11. The Lord God species ; 12. The unknown webs of life ; 13. The wholly different aqueous world ; 14. The invisible empire ; 15. The best places in a biosphere ; 16. History redefined -- Part III. The solution. 17. The awakening ; 18. Restoration ; 19. Half-earth : how to save the biosphere ; 20. Threading the bottleneck ; 21. What must be done.
- "In order to stave off the mass extinction of species, including our own, we must move swiftly to preserve the biodiversity of our planet, says Edward O. Wilson in his most impassioned book to date. Half-Earth argues that the situation facing us is too large to be solved piecemeal and proposes a solution commensurate with the magnitude of the problem: dedicate fully half the surface of the Earth to nature."--Amazon.
- 9781631490828 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 213-226) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the John D. Vairo Libraries Endowment; 2016
View MARC record | catkey: 17277068