The Oxford handbook of environmental history / edited by Andrew C. Isenberg
- Additional Titles:
- Handbook of environmental history and Environmental history
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Isenberg, Andrew C. (Andrew Christian)
- Oxford handbooks online: ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I DYNAMIC ENVIRONMENTS AND CULTURES -- 1.Beyond Weather: The Culture and Politics of Climate History / Mark Carey -- 2.Animals and the Intimacy of History / Brett L. Walker -- 3.Beyond Virgin Soils: Disease as Environmental History / Linda Nash -- 4.Deserts / Diana K. Davis -- 5.Seas of Grass: Grasslands in World Environmental History / Andrew C. Isenberg -- 6.New Patterns in Old Places: Forest History for the Global Present / Emily K. Brock -- 7.The Tropics: A Brief History of an Environmental Imaginary / Paul S. Sutter -- pt. II KNOWING NATURE -- 8.And All Was Light?---Science and Environmental History / Michael Lewis -- 9.Toward an Environmental History of Technology / Sara B. Pritchard -- 10.New Chemical Bodies: Synthetic Chemicals, Regulation, and Human Health / Nancy Langston -- 11.Rethinking American Exceptionalism: Toward a Transnational History of National Parks, Wilderness, and Protected Areas / James Morton Turner -- 12.Restoration and the Search for Counter-Narratives / Marcus Hall -- 13.Region, Scenery, and Power: Cultural Landscapes in Environmental History / Thomas Zeller -- pt. III WORKING AND OWNING -- 14.A Metabolism of Society: Capitalism for Environmental Historians / Steven Stoll -- 15.Owning Nature: Toward an Environmental History of Private Property / Louis Warren -- 16.Work, Nature, and History: A Single Question, that Once Moved Like Light / Thomas G. Andrews -- 17.The Nature of Desire: Consumption in Environmental History / Matthew Klingle -- 18.Law and the Environment / Kathleen A. Brosnan -- 19.Confluences of Nature and Culture: Cities in Environmental History / Lawrence Culver -- pt. IV ENTANGLING ALLIANCES -- 20.Race and Ethnicity in Environmental History / Connie Y. Chiang -- 21.Women and Gender: Useful Categories of Analysis in Environmental History / Nancy C. Unger -- 22.Conquest to Convalescence: Nature and Nation in United States History / William Deverell -- 23.Boundless Nature: Borders and the Environment in North America and Beyond / Andrew R. Graybill -- 24.Crossing Boundaries: The Environment in International Relations / Kurk Dorsey -- 25.The Politics of Nature / Frank Zelko.
- This book explores the methodology of environmental history, with an emphasis on the field's interaction with other historiographies such as consumerism, borderlands, and gender. It examines the problem of environmental context, specifically the problem and perception of environmental determinism, by focusing on climate, disease, fauna, and regional environments. It also considers the changing understanding of scientific knowledge.
- 9780199983629 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17282422