Creating value : the theory and practice of marketing semiotics research / Laura R. Oswald
- Oswald, Laura
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 189 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Creating Value through Semiotics -- 2.Advertising Semiotics -- 3.Brand Metaphor -- 4.Servicescape Semiotics -- 5.Cultural Branding -- 6.Semiotic Ethnography.
- In global consumer culture, brands structure an economy of symbolic exchange that gives value to the meanings consumers attach to the brand name, logo, and product category. Brand meaning is not just a value added to the financial value of goods, but has material impact on financial markets themselves. Strong brands leverage consumer investments in the cultural myths, social networks, and ineffable experiences they associate with marketing signs and rituals. Creating Value: The Theory and Practice of Marketing Semiotic Research is a guide to managing these investments by managing the cultural codes that define value in a market or consumer segment. The book extends the discussion beyond the basics of semiotics to post-structural debates related to ethnographic performance, multicultural consumer identity, the digitalized consumer, and heterotopic experiences of consumer space. The book invites readers to challenge the current thinking on topics ranging from cultural branding and brand rhetoric to digital media management and service site design. It also emphasizes the role of product category codes and cultural trends in the production of perceived value. Creating Value explains theory in language that is accessible to academics and students, as well as research practitioners and marketers. By applying semiotics to the everyday world of the marketplace, the book makes sense of the semiotics discipline, which is often mystified by technical jargon and hair-splitting debate in the academic literature. The book also provides practitioners and professors with a practical guide to the methods used in semiotic research across the marketing mix.
- EXAMINES METHODS TO LEVERAGE SEMIOTIC VALUE OF GOODS, PLUS DEBATES ON POST-STRUCTURAL SEMIOTICS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2015
View MARC record | catkey: 17286785