Crooked trails / written and illustrated by Frederic Remington, author of "Pony tracks."
- Remington, Frederic, 1861-1909
- New York ; London : Harper & Brothes Publishers, 1898.
- Physical Description:
- v, 150 pages, 49 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations ; 23 cm
- How the law got into the chaparral -- The blue quail of the cactus -- A sergeant of the Orphan Troop -- The spirit of Mahongui -- The essentials at Fort Adobe -- Massai's crooked trail -- Joshua Goodenough's old letter -- Cracker cowboys of Florida -- The strange days that came to Jimmie Friday -- The Soledad girls.
- A collection of ten illustrated tales that capture the look and feel of the Old West and life on the frontier. These stories follow a crooked trail of their own from Texas to Montana, from Florida to the French-Canadian border, and feature Texas Rangers, Indian fighters, U.S. cavalrymen, a Chiricahua Apache outlaw, Cheyenne Indians, Abwee Indians, 'Cracker' cowboys, and girl vaqueros.
- Texas Rangers—Anecdotes
- United States. Army. Cavalry
- Texas Rangers
- Western stories
- Indians of North America—Anecdotes
- Cowboys—West (U.S.)
- Frontier and pioneer life—West (U.S.)
- Folklore—West (U.S.)
- Frontier and pioneer life—Florida
- West (U.S.)—Social life and customs
- Texas—Description and travel
- United States, West
- Rare Books copy is one of the specimens collected by book artist Richard Minsky during the course of his research on American decorated publisher's bindings issued between 1872-1929; printed bookplate "From the library of Harry A. Brooks" on front pastedown.
- Binding Information:
- Publisher's tangerine colored pictorial cloth stamped in aqua green, light turquoise blue, and mauve with pictorial design on cover offering a depiction of a zig-zag trail across a Western desert landscape. A cameo with a profile portrait of a Native American appears under the spine title. Unsigned.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased in part with funds from the Helen F. Faust Special Collection Libraries Endowment; 2015.
Rare Books copy: Purchased in part with funds from the J. Harvey Fahnestock Endowment for Scientific, Engineering and Rare Books; 2015.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from Richard Minsky, book artist; 2015.
View MARC record | catkey: 17289117