In praise of failure : the value of overcoming mistakes in sports and in life / Mark H. Anshel
- Anshel, Mark H. (Mark Howard)
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Introduction: defining "failure" and "success" in sport and exercise -- How we promote sports performance failure -- Dimensions of failure : physical, mental, emotional, and values-based -- Explaining the causes of performance failure -- Failure improves intrinsic motivation -- Errors lead to optimal performance -- Proper coping with failure -- Linking effective sport leadership to failure -- Effective communication skills for performance feedback and instruction -- Failure and children : helping kids fail safely -- Handling failure in sport settings -- Handling failure in exercise settings.
- "Rather than seeing failure as an end point, Professor Anshel outlines a compelling case for using failure to propel oneself forward. Anshel provides practical tools for doing so derived from his own life experiences, including decades of researching, teaching, and consulting about performance psychology" ---Bradley J. Cardinal, professor of kinesiology, Oregon State University --
"A must-read book for those seeking to enhance performance. A wonderful perspective is offered in reframing how we think about failure and changing that perception to use failure to our advantage to enhance our likelihood of being a success!"---Michael Sachs, professor of kinesiology, Temple University --
"Dr. Anshel's book gives in-depth insights into the role of failing in our maturing both as performers and people" ---Artur Poczwardowski, professor of sport and performance psychology, University of Denver, and coeditor of Expert Approaches to Sport Psychology --
In Praise of Failure: The Value of Overcoming Mistakes in Sports and In Life aims to change the way our society defines and perceives what is commonly called "failure." In this book, Mark H. Anshel provides a refreshing new perspective on how we can embrace failure as part of the process of achieving and succeeding at the highest level. Using sports psychology, Anshel addresses such issues as how to properly promote failure in sport and exercise settings, how errors lead to improvement, ways to constructively cope with failure, and how to help athletes fail "safely." In the process, Anshel shows that the highest-performing athletes have one characteristic in common: they learned and improved from setbacks. --
In Praise of Failure shares stories of athletes, business professionals, scholars, and inventors who failed repeatedly before attaining their dreams, revealing the Integral role of failure in success. Offering a fresh and exciting take on how to approach the disappointments we face in life, this book will be invaluable for athletes, coaches, exercise and fitness trainers, dieticians, students, and even those in the corporate world. --Book Jacket.
- 9781442251588 electronic bk.
1442251581 electronic bk.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17289495