Stress corrosion cracking of nickel-based alloys in water-cooled nuclear : the coriou effect / edited by D. Féron, R.W. Staehle
- Woodhead Publishing series in EFC ; number 67
- Machine generated contents note: pt. One Historical perspectives on stress corrosion cracking of nickel-based alloys -- 1.Historical views on stress corrosion cracking of nickel-based alloys: the Coriou effect / R. W. Staehle -- Disclaimer -- 1.1.Introduction -- 1.2.Early nuclear ships and SCC -- 1.3.Principles and occurrences of corrosion -- 1.4.Coriou and the Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, 1955--1975 -- 1.5.Copson and INCO: 1955--1975 -- 1.6.The lead story -- 1.7.Conclusions -- Acknowledgments -- References -- 2.The saga of Alloy 600 at the Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique / G. Pinard Legry -- 2.1.Introduction -- 2.2.Some benchmarks -- 2.3.The use of Alloy 600 -- 2.4.Some causes of a confrontation due to difficulties for reproducible experimental results -- 2.5.Henri Coriou, an eclectic corrosionist -- Acknowledgments -- References -- 3.The Inconel affair at Electricite de France or "Coriou's syndrome" / P. Berge -- Conclusion -- 4.Coriou cracking in Japanese pressurized water reactors and its mitigation / T. Yonezawa -- 4.1.Introduction -- 4.2.Experience of Coriou cracking in Japanese PWR plants -- 4.3.Development of alternative nickel-based alloys for mitigating Coriou cracking -- 4.4.Recommended future work -- 4.5.Conclusions -- References -- pt. Two Stress corrosion cracking in nickel-based alloys -- 5.Understanding and predicting stress corrosion cracking (SCC) in hot water / P.L. Andresen -- 5.1.Introduction -- 5.2.Experimental procedures -- 5.3.Results and discussion -- 5.4.Modeling and life prediction -- 5.5.Conclusions -- References -- 6.The electrochemical nature of stress corrosion cracking / D.D. Macdonald -- 6.1.Introduction -- 6.2.Critical potential -- 6.3.Coupling of the internal/external environments -- 6.4.The coupled environment fracture model -- 6.5.The role of the electrochemical crack length in SCC -- 6.6.Semielliptical cracks -- 6.7.Validation of the coupled environment fracture model -- 6.8.Summary and conclusions -- Acknowledgments -- References -- 7.Stress corrosion cracking and hydrogen embrittlement / J. Chene -- 7.1.Introduction -- 7.2.Hydrogen-assisted cracking of nickel-based alloys: a review of previous data -- 7.3.Current research on the role of hydrogen in IGSCC in primary water -- 7.4.Summary -- Acknowledgments -- References -- 8.Advanced nano-secondary ion mass spectrometry analysis of intergranular oxide penetration of Alloy 600 in a pressurized water reactor primary water environment / E. Herms -- 8.1.Introduction -- 8.2.Experimental procedures -- 8.3.Results -- 8.4.Discussion -- 8.5.Conclusions -- Acknowledgments -- References -- 9.Stress corrosion cracking of Alloy 600: overviews and experimental techniques / P. Laghoutaris -- 9.1.Introduction -- 9.2.Experimental tests for investigating stress corrosion cracking -- 9.3.Stress corrosion cracking of nickel-based alloys: influence of hydrogen -- 9.4.Influence of metallurgical state on stress corrosion cracking -- 9.5.Surface cold working influences SCC -- 9.6.Modeling stress corrosion cracking of Alloy 600 -- Acknowledgments -- Bibliography -- References.
- Stress Corrosion Cracking of Nickel Based Alloys in Water-Cooled Nuclear Reactors: The Coriou Effect presents the latest information on brittle failure of metals in corrosive chemical environments under the influence of tensile stresses. Nickel alloys are more resistant to SCC as well as high temperatures and have been widely used in more challenging environments such as nuclear power plants. However, these alloys can suffer SCC under certain conditions, resulting in component failure. A key figure in understanding the mechanisms of SCC in nickel alloys in water-cooled nuclear reactors is Henri Coriou of the CEA, France's leading center for nuclear research. This book assesses his work in the context of the latest research on SCC in nickel alloys in nuclear power plants.Up-to-date reviews of recent research findings from leading experts in the field Authoritative and comprehensively reviewed by the Working Party 4 on Nuclear CorrosionShowcases the excellent quality and technical accomplishments of Henri Coriou and CEA
- 9780081000625 electronic bk., 0081000626 electronic bk., and 9780081000496
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17515326