Routledge handbook of modern Korean history / edited by Michael J. Seth
- Additional Titles:
- Handbook of modern Korean history
- London : Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 396 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Seth, Michael J., 1948-
- 1. Introduction: Understanding Modern Korean History / Michael J. Seth -- Part I: Late Choson -- 2. Korea by 1860 / James B. Lewis -- 3. Competing Imperialisms in Korea / Kirk Larsen -- 4. The Nation, the People, and the Possibilities of the Post-National : Historiographies of Late Nineteenth-Century Korean Reform Movements / Joshua Van Lieu -- 5. Religion, 1876-1910 / Albert L. Park -- 6. The transformation of the Choson economy in the Open Port Period, 1876-1910 / Owen Miller -- 7. The 1894 Tonghak Rebellion / Carl Young -- Part II: The Colonial Period -- 8. The Politics of Assimilation : Koreans into Japanese / Mark Caprio -- 9. Colonial Modernity / E. Taylor Atkins -- 10. Women, Gender and Social Change in Colonial Korea / Sonja Kim -- 11. Nationalist Movements Before 1945 / Franklin Rausch -- Part III: Division and War -- 12. The Division of Korea and the Rise of Two Koreas, 1945-1948 / Jongsoo Lee -- 13. The Korean War and Its Politics / Grace J. Chae -- Part IV: North Korea -- 14. North Korean State-Making : Process and Characteristics / Shin Jongdae -- 15. North Korea's Chuchʻe Philosophy / James Person -- 16. A Dynastic Polity in Economic Stagnation and Decline / Andrei Lankov -- 17. The North Korean Famine / Marcus Noland -- 18. North Korea Under Kim Jong Il / Adrian Buzo -- 19. Marriage, Family, and Sexuality in North Korea / Suzy Kim -- Part V: South Korea -- 20. Trade Union Movements in South Korea since 1945 / Jooyeon Jeong -- 21. Economic Miracle : From Post-War Reconstruction to Post-Crisis Affluence / Ingyu Oh and Hannah Jun -- 22. Democratization in South Korea / Gregg Andrew Brazinsky -- 23. Women, Gender & Social Change in South Korea Since 1945 / Laura C. Nelson and Cho Haejoang -- 24. The Postdevelopmental State : Economic and Social Changes Since 1997 / Jamie Doucette -- 25. Global Korea / John Lie -- 26. Inter-Korean Relations, 1945-2013 / Avram Agov.
- "Beginning in the mid-nineteenth century when Korea became entangled in the world of modern imperialism and the old social, economic and political order began to change, this handbook brings together cutting edge scholarship on major themes in Korean history. Contributions by experts in the field cover the Late Choson and Colonial periods, Korea's partition and the diverging paths of North and South Korea. Topics covered include: The division of Korea; Religion; Competing imperialisms; Economic change; War and rebellions; Nationalism; Gender; North Korea under Kim Jong Il; Global Korea; the Handbook provides a stimulating introduction to the most important themes within the subject area, and is an invaluable reference work for any student and researcher of Korean history"--
- 9780415739313 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17534089