The Opium War : drugs, dreams and the making of China / Julia Lovell
- Lovell, Julia, 1975-
- New York, NY : The Overlook Press, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 456 pages, 32 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color), maps ; 24 cm
- Opium and China -- Daoguang's decision -- Canton spring -- Opium and lime -- The first shots -- "An explanatory declaration" -- Sweet-talk and sea-slug -- Qishan's downfall -- The siege of Canton -- The unEnglished Englishman -- Xiamen and Zhoushan -- A winter in Suzhou -- The fight for Qing China -- The Treaty of Nanjing -- Peace and war -- The Yellow Peril -- The national disease -- Communist conspiracies -- Principal characters -- Timeline.
- Details the 1839 Opium War and the red tape, incompetence, and political cronyism that surrounded China's first conflict with the West and how these events fueled the foundation for modern Chinese nationalism.
- 9781468308952 (hardcover) and 1468308955 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 423-441) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17534224