The medieval risk-reward society : courts, adventure, and love in the European Middle Ages / Will Hasty
- Hasty, Will
- Columbus : The Ohio State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 260 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Interventions: new studies in medieval culture
- The cultural action ; Toward a cultural game theory ; The new medieval move ; A race of four cities: Troy, Jericho, Rome, and Jerusalem -- The medieval self as bankroll ; The city of God: otherness as a global parameter of action ; The city of God: sameness as a global parameter of action loss, reiteration, growth ; The new medieval move exemplified -- Rules of the house ; Courtly representation as aristocratic competition ; Investitures: a diachronic view of the political action -- The poetic action ; Wars, tournaments, verses: the place of poetry at court ; Benchmarks of performance ; The vernacular as poetic resource ; Stars in competition -- Adventure as a cultural wager ; Dynamics of adventure ; Highlights from Chretien de Troyes's Erec et Enide ; Highlights from Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival -- Love as a cultural wager ; Dynamics of love ; Highlights from Marie de France's Lanval ; Highlights from Gottfried von Strassburg's Tristan -- The modern self in play ; The global as individual ; Reformation moves ; Enlightenment moves ; A gilded-age Connecticut Yankee adventures for high stakes ; Emancipation, totalitarianism, and the (post)modern action.
- 9780814213032 (cloth ; alk. paper) and 0814213030 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 245-253) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 17733798