The Tibetan book of the dead : the great liberation through hearing / Ricky Ian Gordon ; libretto by Jean-Claude van Itallie based on The Tibetan book of the dead (or How not to do it again).
- Gordon, Ricky Ian
- Uniform Title:
- Tibetan book of the dead. Vocal score
- Additional Titles:
- Great liberation through hearing
- [King of Prussia, Pennsylvania] : Theodore Presser Company, 
- Copyright Date:
- Piano-vocal score.
- Physical Description:
- 1 vocal score (188 pages) ; 31 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Van Itallie, Jean Claude, 1936-, Karma-gliṅ-pa, active 14th century, Grossi, Jeffrey Michael, and Houston Grand Opera
- Language Note:
- Staff notation.
- The dying -- The moment of death -- Clear white light -- The peaceful energies -- Rainbow dance -- Dream-like realms -- The angry energies -- Mahakala -- Lord of death -- Wandering prayer -- Realizing I am dead -- Pursued by demons -- Hungry ghost -- Love making -- Refusing to see -- Choosing a home -- Entering again.
- Program notes by the composer, and notes from the librettist.
The libretto, by Jean-Claude Van Itallie, is based on the Tibetan book of the dead, and shows the journey of a soul from death to rebirth.
Commissioned by the Houston Grand Opera and the American Music Theatre Festival, 1995.
Premiered in Houston, May 31, 1996 by the Houston Opera Studio.
Includes original cast list.
Dedicated to Jeffrey Michael Grossi.
Duration: 90 min.
View MARC record | catkey: 17750382