Classic Gershwin [sound recording].
- Gershwin, George, 1898-1937
- Uniform Title:
- Works. Selections
- New York, N.Y. : CBS, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 audio disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Bernstein, Leonard, 1918-1990, Mehta, Zubin, Laine, Cleo, Holloway, Laurie, Rampal, Jean-Pierre, 1922-2000, Colombier, Michel, Williams, John, 1941-, Goodchild, William, Vaughan, Sarah, 1924-1990, Tilson Thomas, Michael, 1944-, New York Philharmonic, Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, and Columbia Jazz Band
- Rhapsody in blue : original version -- An American in Paris -- Medley from the Woody Allen film "Manhattan". He loves and she loves ; Love is sweeping the country ; Land of the gay caballero ; Strike up the band ; But not for me -- Three preludes for piano -- Embraceable you -- Liza -- A foggy day -- Overture to Porgy and Bess -- Medley from Porgy and Bess. Summertime ; It ain't necessarily so ; I loves you, Porgy.
- The 6th-7th and 9th works are arrangements.
"Previously released material"--Container.
The 1st-3rd, 5th, and 8th-9th works are analog recordings.
The 2nd work is a symphonic poem; the 3rd and 5th-7th works are from musicals; the 8th-9th works are from a folk opera.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- George Gershwin, piano (1925 piano roll), Columbia Jazz Band, Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (1st work) ; New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein, conductor (2nd work) ; New York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta, conductor (3rd work) ; Michael Tilson Thomas, piano (4th work) ; Cleo Laine, vocal, Laurie Holloway, piano (5th work) ; Jean-Pierre Rampal, flute, other instrumentalists, members of Los Angeles Philharmonic, Michel Colombier, conductor (6th work) ; John Williams, guitar, orchestra conducted by William Goodchild (7th work) ; Los Angeles Philharmonic, Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (8th-9th works), with Sarah Vaughan, vocal (9th work).
View MARC record | catkey: 1789817