Integrated urban water management [electronic resource] : humid tropics / edited by Jonathan N. Parkinson, Joel A. Goldenfum, and Carlos E.M.Tucci
- Urban water series--UNESCO IHP, 1749-0790 ; 6
- 1. Integrated urban water management in the humid tropics -- 2. Water supply and wastewater management in the humid tropics -- 3. Stormwater management in the humid tropics -- 4. Interactions between solid waste management and urban stormwater drainage -- 5. Control of public health hazards in the humid tropics -- 6. Reducing vulnerability to water-related disasters in urban areas of the humid tropics -- 7. Integrated urban water management : institutional, legal and socioeconomic issues -- 8. Education and capacity-building.
- Excess water in the urban environment leads to flooding, which in turn causes structural damage, risks to personal safety and disruption to city life. Water is also a major contributory factor in disease transmission as well as being the transport medium of many pollutants. These problems are of increasing concern due to climate changes and are particularly apparent in the humid tropics. --
Integrated Urban Water Management: Humid Tropics-the output of a project by UNESCO's International Hydrological Programme on the topic - focuses on engineering aspects related to water supply, wastewater and stormwater management in the Humd tropics, Flood control s dealt with, focusing on reducing vulnerabilty to flood disasters in urban areas. The book also addresses environmental health concerns related to the different components of the urban water system and proposes strategies for their control. It illustrates different aspects of integrated water management in the urban environment by drawing upon a set of case studies-predominantly from South America. --
Following from the Sixth Phase of UNESCO's International Hydrological Programme (2002-2007), the Urban Water Series- UNESCO-IHP addresses fundamental issues related to the role of water in cities and the effects of urbanization on the hydrological cycle and water resources. Focusing on the development of Integrated approaches to sustainable urban water management, the Series should inform the work of urban water management practitioners, policy-makers and educators throughout the world. --Book Jacket.
- 9780203881170 (e-book : PDF)
- "A Balkema book."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print edition.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 17943777