The underground railroad : a novel / Colson Whitehead
- Whitehead, Colson, 1969-
- New York : Doubleday, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 306 pages ; 25 cm
- Ajarry -- Georgia -- Ridgeway -- South Carolina -- Stevens -- North Carolina -- Ethel -- Tennessee -- Caesar -- Indiana -- Mabel -- The North.
- "Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. When Caesar, a recent arrival from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they decide to take a terrifying risk and escape. Though they manage to find a station and head north, they are being hunted. Their first stop is South Carolina, in a city that initially seems like a haven. But the city's placid surface masks an insidious scheme designed for its black denizens. And even worse: Ridgeway, the relentless slave catcher, is close on their heels. Forced to flee again, Cora embarks on a harrowing flight, state by state, seeking true freedom." --
- 9780385542364 (hardcover)
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Robert E. and Joyce L. Umbaugh Libraries Endowment for the Penn State DuBois Campus Library; 2016
Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2016
- National Book Award, 2016.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 17952422