Altamont : the Rolling Stones, the Hells Angels, and the inside story of rock's darkest day / Joel Selvin
- Selvin, Joel
- New York : Dey St., an imprint of William Morrow Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- x, 358 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, portraits, some color ; 24 cm
- Pipe dreams -- Money trouble -- Hippie business ethics -- Hollywood -- On the road -- Back to Hollywood -- $500 for beer -- Back on the road -- On to San Francisco -- Friday -- The day dawns -- Alan and Patti -- Santana -- The Airplane -- The Flying Burrito Brothers -- CSNY -- Sympathy for the devil -- Under my thumb -- Gimme shelter -- The day after -- The news breaks -- Crime story -- New speedway boogie -- Angel on trial -- Love in vain.
- In this breathtaking cultural history filled with exclusive, never-before-revealed details, celebrated rock journalist Joel Selvin tells the definitive story of the Rolling Stones' infamous Altamont concert in San Francisco, the disastrous historic event that marked the end of the idealistic 1960s. The product of 20 years of research and dozens of interviews with many key players, including medical staff, Hells Angels members, the stage crew, and the musicians who were there, this is the ultimate account of the final event in rock's formative and most turbulent decade.
Altamont Speedway Free Festival, December 6, 1969. A concertgoer was killed by a member of the Hells Angels, the notorious biker club acting as security. Selvin tells the definitive story of the Rolling Stones' infamous concert in San Francisco: last minute venue changes; bad acid; open displays of guns and knives. His research and interviews with many key players, including medical staff, Hells Angels members, the stage crew, and the musicians who were there, make this the ultimate account of the final event in rock's formative and most turbulent decade.
- 9780062444257 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (327-336) and an index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2016
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 17955079