Beer and circus : how big-time college sports is crippling undergraduate education / Murray Sperber
- Sperber, Murray A.
- New York, N.Y. : Henry Holt and Co., 2001.
- 1st Holt Paperback ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 322 pages ; 21 cm
- Animal House -- College sports winners and losers -- The NCAA, the tube, and the fans -- Corporate beer-and-circus -- Admissions office scams -- The Flutie factor -- Shaft the undergraduates -- The great researcher = great teacher myth -- New Siwash in red ink -- Student mix and match -- The faculty/student nonaggression pact -- Cheating -- Undergraduate education triage : honors program lifeboats -- Cheap beer : the oxygen of the Greek system -- Drinking off-campus and far off-campus (spring break) -- Party round the team -- Rally round the team--as long as it wins and covers the spread -- College Sports MegaInc.-- College Sports MegaInc. versus undergraduate education -- Who loves the jocks? -- The New 3 R's -- Conclusion: what should happen versus what probably will happen.
- College sports—United States—History
- College sports—Economic aspects—United States
- College sports—Moral and ethical aspects—United States
- Universities and colleges—United States—Administration
- College sports
- College sports—Economic aspects
- College sports—Moral and ethical aspects
- Universities and colleges—Administration
- United States
- Previously published: New York : Henry Holt, 2000.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 279-308) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18148697