The golden legend [electronic resource] : readings on the saints / Jacobus de Voragine ; translated by William Granger Ryan with an introduction by Eamon Duffy
- Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298
- Uniform Title:
- Legenda aurea. English
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxi, 788 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Ryan, William Granger, 1905-1996
- Cover; CONTENTS; INTRODUCTION BY EAMON DUFFY; ACKNOWLEDGMENTS; Prologue; 1. The Advent of the Lord; 2. Saint Andrew, Apostle; 3. Saint Nicholas; 4. Saint Lucy, Virgin; 5. Saint Thomas, Apostle; 6. The Birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ According to the Flesh; 7. Saint Anastasia; 8. Saint Stephen; 9. Saint John, Apostle and Evangelist; 10. The Holy Innocents; 11. Saint Thomas of Canterbury; 12. Saint Silvester; 13. The Circumcision of the Lord; 14. The Epiphany of the Lord; 15. Saint Paul, Hermit; 16. Saint Remy; 17. Saint Hilary; 18. Saint Macarius; 19. Saint Felix; 20. Saint Marcellus.
21. Saint Anthony22. Saint Fabian; 23. Saint Sebastian; 24. Saint Agnes, Virgin; 25. Saint Vincent; 26. Saint Basil, Bishop; 27. Saint John the Almsgiver; 28. The Conversion of Saint Paul, Apostle; 29. Saint Paula; 30. Saint Julian; 31. Septuagesima; 32. Sexagesima; 33. Quinquagesima; 34. Quadragesima; 35. The Ember Day Fasts; 36. Saint Ignatius; 37. The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary; 38. Saint Blaise; 39. Saint Agatha, Virgin; 40. Saint Vaast; 41. Saint Amand; 42. Saint Valentine; 43. Saint Juliana; 44. The Chair of Saint Peter; 45. Saint Matthias, Apostle; 46. Saint Gregory.
47. Saint Longinus48. Saint Sophia and Her Three Daughters; 49. Saint Benedict; 50. Saint Patrick; 51. The Annunciation of the Lord; 52. Saint Timothy; 53. The Passion of the Lord; 54. The Resurrection of the Lord; 55. Saint Secundus; 56. Saint Mary of Egypt; 57. Saint Ambrose; 58. Saint George; 59. Saint Mark, Evangelist; 60. Saint Marcellinus, Pope; 61. Saint Vitalis; 62. A Virgin of Antioch; 63. Saint Peter Martyr; 64. Saint Fabian; 65. Saint Philip, Apostle; 66. Saint Apollonia; 67. Saint James, Apostle; 68. The Finding of the Holy Cross; 69. Saint John before the Latin Gate.
70. The Greater and Lesser Litanies71. Saint Boniface, Martyr; 72. The Ascension of the Lord; 73. The Holy Spirit; 74. Saints Gordianus and Epimachus; 75. Saints Nereus and Achilleus; 76. Saint Pancratius; 77. Saint Urban; 78. Saint Petronilla; 79. Saint Peter the Exorcist; 80. Saints Primus and Felicianus; 81. Saint Barnabas, Apostle; 82. Saints Vitus and Modestus; 83. Saint Quiricus and His Mother Saint Julitta; 84. Saint Marina, Virgin; 85. Saints Gervasius and Protasius; 86. The Birth of Saint John the Baptist; 87. Saints John and Paul; 88. Saint Leo, Pope; 89. Saint Peter, Apostle.
90. Saint Paul, Apostle91. The Seven Brothers, Sons of Saint Felicity; 92. Saint Theodora; 93. Saint Margaret; 94. Saint Alexis; 95. Saint Praxedes; 96. Saint Mary Magdalene; 97. Saint Apollinaris; 98. Saint Christina; 99. Saint James the Greater; 100. Saint Christopher; 101. The Seven Sleepers; 102. Saints Nazarius and Celsus; 103. Saint Felix, Pope; 104. Saints Simplidus and Faustinus; 105. Saint Martha; 106. Saints Abdon and Sennen; 107. Saint Germain, Bishop; 108. Saint Eusebius; 109. The Holy Maccabees; 110. Saint Peter in Chains; 111. Saint Stephen, Pope.
- "Depicting the lives of the saints in an array of factual and fictional stories, The Golden Legend was perhaps the most widely read book, after the Bible, during the late Middle Ages. It was compiled around 1260 by Jacobus de Voragine, a scholarly friar and later archbishop of Genoa, whose purpose was to captivate, encourage, and edify the faithful, while preserving a vast store of information pertaining to the legends and traditions of the church. In this translation, the first in English of the complete text, William Granger Ryan captures the immediacy of this rich work, which offers an important guide for readers interested in medieval art and literature and, more generally, in popular religious culture. Arranged according to the order of saints' feast days, these fascinating stories are now combined into one volume. This edition also features an introduction by Eamon Duffy contextualizing the work."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781400842056 (electronic bk.)
1400842050 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18160280