The history of the Caribby-Islands [electronic resource] : viz. Barbados, St Christophers, St Vincents, Martinico, Dominico, Barbouthos, Monserrat, Mevis [sic], Antego, &c. in all XXVIII. : In two books. The first containing the natural; the second, the moral history of those islands. : Illustrated with several pieces of sculpture, representing the most considerable rarities therein described. : With a Caribbian-vocabulary. / Rendered into English by John Davies of Kidwelly
- Rochefort, Charles de, 1605-1683
- Uniform Title:
- Histoire naturelle et morale des iles Antilles de l'Amerique. English
- London : Printed by J. M. for Thomas Dring and John Starkey, and are to be sold at their shops, at the George in Fleet-Street neer Clifford's-Inn, and at the Mitre between Middle Temple-Gate and Temple-Bar, 1666.
- Physical Description:
- 8 unnumbered pages, 351 pages, 17 unnumbered pages, 9 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations ; 29 cm (folio)
- Additional Creators:
- Davies, John, 1625-1693, Rochefort, César de, -1690, Poincy, Louis de, -1660, Breton, Raymond, 1609-1679, and Brown, John Nicholas, 1900-1979
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Other Subject(s):
- John Carter Brown Library - Indigenous Collection (Internet Archive)
- A free translation of: Histoire naturelle et morale des iles Antilles de l'Amérique, first published in Rotterdam, 1658. "Davies added material not found in the French edition and left out material, as well." -- Echeverria & Wilkie.
Authorship from Echeverria & Wilkie. Also been attributed to Louis de Poincy and to César de Rochefort.
Part 2 has special part title-page.
Signatures: A-3A (3A4 verso blank)
Page 2 misnumbered 3; page 330 misnumbered 332.
Cf. Echeverria & Wilkie. French image, 658/3.
Cf. Cundall, F. Bibliography of the West Indies, page 99.
Cf. Palau y Dulcet (2nd edition) 271896ff.
"By way of digression giving an account of the Apalachites, the nature of their country, their manners, and their ancient and modern religion," pages 228-249.
"A Caribbian vocabulary," by Raymond Breton, pages [2-11] at end.
John Carter Brown Library copy 1 bound in contemporary sheep.
John Carter Brown Library copy 1: gift of John Nicolas Brown.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Echeverria & Wilkie. French image, 666/2.
JCB Lib. cat., pre-1675, III, p. 147.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, R1740.
Alden, J.E. European Americana, 666/136.
View MARC record | catkey: 18378083