Three years travels through the interior parts of North-America [electronic resource] : for more than five thousand miles, containing an account of the Great Lakes, and all the lakes, islands, and rivers, cataracts, mountains, minerals, soil and vegetable productions of the north-west regions of that vast continent; with a description of the birds, beasts, reptiles, insects, and fishes peculiar to the country. Together with a concise history of the genius, manners, and customs of the Indians inhabiting the lands that lie adjacent to the heads and to the westward of the great river Mississippi; and an appendix, describing the uncultivated parts of America that are the most proper for forming settlements. / By Captain Jonathan Carver, of the provincial troops in America
- Carver, Jonathan, 1710-1780
- Uniform Title:
- Travels through the interior parts of North America, in the years 1766, 1767, and 1768
- Philadelphia : Printed by Joseph Crukshank, in Market-Street, between Second and Third-streets, M DCC LXXXIX. 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, vii, 2 unnumbered pages, 10-282 pages, 2 unnumbered pages ; 17 cm (12mo)
- Additional Creators:
- Lettsom, John Coakley, 1744-1815
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Running title: Carver's travels.
First published in London, 1778 under title: Travels through the interior parts of North America, in the years 1766, 1767, and 1768.
Also attributed tentatively to John Coakley Lettsom, known to be involved with the work at least in the category of editor. Cf. Bourne, E.G. "The travels of Jonathan Carver", Amer. hist. review, volume 11, number 2 (Jan. 1906), pages 287-302.
Signatures: a A² B-2A 2B (2B4 blank)
"A short vocabulary of the Chipéway [Ojibwa] language": pages 215-223.
"A short vocabulary of the Naudowessie [Dakota] language": pages 223-227.
John Carter Brown Library copy bound in contemporary full mottled calf.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 11185.
Evans, C. American bibliography, 21728.
Brown, J.C. Cat., 1493-1800, III:3258.
English short title catalogue, W28307.
View MARC record | catkey: 18378304