View of the climate and soil of the United States of America [electronic resource] : to which are annexed some accounts of Florida, the French colony on the Scioto, certain Canadian colonies, and the savages or natives: / translated from the French of C.F. Volney, member of the Conservative senate, and the French National institute, and honorary member of the American philosophical society at Philadelphia, the Asiatic society at Calcutta, and the Atheneums of Avignon, Alençon, &c. With maps and plates
- Volney, C.-F. (Constantin-François), 1757-1820
- Uniform Title:
- Tableau du climat et du sol des États-Unis d'Amérique. English
- London : Printed for J. Johnson, 72, St. Paul's Church Yard, by C. Mercier and Co. 6, Northumberland Court, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 1 unnumbered page, iv-vi, 503 pages, 1 unnumbered page, 4 unnumbered folded leaves of plates : illustrations, maps ; 21 cm (8vo)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- John Carter Brown Library - Indigenous Collection (Internet Archive)
- Colophon reads: Mercier and Co. printers, Northumberland-court, Strand.
Translation of: Tableau du climat et du sol des États-Unis d'Amérique, first printed Paris, 1803, in 2 volumes, and translated by the author.
Another English translation printed Philadelphia, 1804.
"Vocabulary of the Miami language": pages -503.
(From Appendix): On the winds of Sweden -- Elucidations of different articles mentioned in the work: I. On Florida, and the work of Bernard Romans, entitled A concise natural and moral history of East and West Florida. II. On the History of New Hampshire, by Jeremiah Belknap; and the History of Vermont, by S. Williams. III. Gallipolis, or the French colony on the Ohio. IV. Of the colony at Fort Vincents on the Wabash, and of the French colonies on the Mississippi and Lake Erie. V. General observations on the Indians or savages of North America. VI. Vocabulary of the language of the Miamis.
Signatures: A b B-2I 2K (2I6 verso blank)
Errata: pages , 5th count.
Cf. Clarke, T.D. Old South, II:69 (Paris, 1803 edition).
John Carter Brown Library copy bound in contemporary cadet blue stuff wrappers.
John Carter Brown Library copy acquired with the assistance of the Special Purchase Fund.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 10693.
Leclerc, C. Bib. Americana, 1554.
View MARC record | catkey: 18378323