Doctrinalis fidei in Mechuacanensium indorum lingua [electronic resource] / aeditus ab admodum reuerendo patre fratre Ioanne Metinensi, Bethico, Augustiniani ordinis, & priore conuentus Ciusensis. Tomus primus. Accessere sermones quattuor. Scilicet in festo sancti Ioannis Baptista in festiuitate apostolorum Petri & Pauli. In festo magni patria Augustini Ecclesia doctoris. In festo sancti Fra[n]cisci ordinis fundatore
- Medina Plaza, Juan de.
- Mexici : Cum licencia, in aedibus Antonij Ricardi typographi. Via apostoloru[m] Petri & Pauli, Anno. 1577. [i.e. 1578]
- Physical Description:
- 8 unnumbered pages, 61, 72 pages, 2 unnumbered leaves : illustrations ; 32 cm (folio in 8)
- Additional Creators:
- León, Nicolás, 1859-1929 and Augustinians
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- John Carter Brown Library - Spanish America Collection (Internet Archive)
- Foliation errors in 1st series: leaf 24 lacks number; 42 misprinted as 47. In 2nd series: leaves 25, 31, 38, 41 lack numbers; 26, 43, 45 and 48 misprinted as 31, 46, 44 and 43 respectively., Signatures: pi² [maltese cross] A-G H(-H6) 2A-2I chi² (H5 verso is blank). Misprinting G2 as H2, Ee1 as Gg4, Gg4 as Gh4; Ff1 lacks signature., Main text in Tarascan, with double columns of Roman type., Decorated and historiated capitals, tail-pieces, episcopal shield on title page, woodcut ill. on leaf 41 (second series)., "Tabula" on leaves [1-2] at end., Colophon: "Finitum est opus primi tomi Doctrinalis fidei ad laudem et gloriam omnipotentis Dei eiusq[ue] sa[n]ctae matris virginis Mariae. Die. 17. mensis Februarij anno à Christo nato. 1578. In aedibus Antonij Ricardi in ciuitate Mexicana iuxta aedes Apostoloru[m] Petri & Pauli. [maltese cross]", Part one contain sermons, with commentaries in the form of dialogs, on the articles of faith. Part two contains sermons and dialogs on the sacraments (in general and considered separately), and sermons for the feasts of John the Baptist, the Apostles Peter and Paul, Augustine of Hippo, and Francis of Assisi. Second part has separate register, new pagination, and caption title: "Sermo. De Septem Ecclesiae sacramentis", Volume two of this work is only know as printed in 1575., John Carter Brown Library copy incomplete: wanting all before leaf 2 (A2). Title transcription and signatures for initial leaves based on Icazbalceta., John Carter Brown Library copy rebound; has some foxing and wormholes; has ms. annotations., and Provenance of the John Carter Brown Library copy: Nicolás León : bookplate.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references in margins.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 47341., Medina, J.T. Mexico, 84., Viñaza. Bibl. lenguas indígenas, 66., García Icazbalceta, J. Bib. mexicana (1954 ed.), 87., Palau y Dulcet (2. ed.) 159607., Wagner, H.R. Bib. mexicana, 74., Pilling, J.C. Proof-sheets bibliography North American Indians, 2532., and Santiago Vela, G. Biblioteca Agustín, 345.
View MARC record | catkey: 18400017