Colombia [electronic resource] : Background, U.S. Relations, and Congressional Interest
- Corporate Author:
- Library of Congress. Foreign Affairs Division
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (51 pages), digital, PDF file
- Provides overview of recent political developments in Colombia and U.S. policy. Reviews administration of President Alvaro Uribe from 2002-2010, congressional and presidential elections of 2010, and the election and administration of President Juan Manuel Santos. Addresses long-standing conflict with internal armed groups in Colombia, examining roots of the conflict and its major actors as well as their present status. Considers ongoing challenges such as human rights, Plan Colombia and the Andean Counterdrug Program, drug trends, regional security, and the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement. Outlines the National Consolidation Plan, which updates Plan Colombia with a whole-of-government approach to eliminate the insurgency; and describes the U.S.-Colombia Defense Cooperation Agreement.
- Related Titles:
- ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection
- CRS Report.
Record is based on bibliographic data in ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection (last viewed Apr. 2012). Reuse except for individual research requires license from ProQuest, LLC.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: PDF reader software.
View MARC record | catkey: 18405824