Changes in the Arctic [electronic resource] : Background and Issues for Congress
- Corporate Author:
- Library of Congress. Foreign Affairs Division
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (123 pages), digital, PDF file
- Provides background on Arctic area and relations between the Arctic countries, comprised of the U.S., Canada, Russia, Norway, Denmark-by virtue of Greenland, Finland, Sweden, and Iceland. Covers definitions of the Arctic, U.S. Arctic research, and major U.S. policy documents relating to the Arctic. Discusses appointment of the first U.S. Special Representative for the Arctic, U.S. Chairmanship of Arctic Council in 2015-2017, establishment of UN Convention on Law of the Sea and its impact on Arctic area, and formation of a Senate Arctic Caucus. Addresses issues for Congress regarding climate change and loss of Arctic sea ice; territorial claims and sovereignty; commercial sea transportation; oil, gas, and mineral exploration; oil pollution and response; fisheries; protected species; indigenous populations living in the Arctic; polar icebreaking; search and rescue; geopolitical environment; U.S. military forces and operations; and potential oversight questions. Lists CRS reports on specific arctic-related issues. Includes appendices providing full texts of Title I of P.L. 98-373, the Arctic Research and Policy Act of 1984; P.L. 101-609 of 1990, the Amending Arctic Research and Policy Act of 1984; Jan. 2009 Presidential Arctic Policy Directive; and May 2013 National Strategy for Arctic Region. and This report is one in a series of updates. For the most recent coverage of this report series, please see 14-R4-1153h in the 2014 issue.
- Related Titles:
- ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection
- CRS Report. and Record is based on bibliographic data in ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection (last viewed July 2015). Reuse except for individual research requires license from ProQuest, LLC.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: PDF reader software.
View MARC record | catkey: 18415439