Back to Laurel Hill : Pennsylvania and West Virginia folk songs from the Bayard Collection. Volume 1.
- Roving gambler (2:37) -- Jimmie Judd (2:48) -- Edmund in the Lowlands Low (1:48) -- Tiptoe fine ; Keep your feet out of the sand (cakewalks) (2:48) -- You murdered your love in the hall (3:49) -- Farewell sweet Mary (2:41) -- Keep the ark a-moving (3:16) -- Father, dear father (4:06) -- Kate and her horns ; Dance tune (jig) (3:50) -- Lowlands away ; The nightingale (5:35) -- Under the green willow tree (2:44) -- Barbara Allan ; The backside of Albany ; The Boyne water (reels) (3:31) -- Home dearest home ; Colonel Montgomery (strathspey) ; Staten Island (hornpipe) (5:38) -- Charming beauty bright (When I was young I courted me a wife) (3:10).
- In their new album Back to Laurel Hill, Dearest Home brings to life Appalachian songs collected from a musically oft-neglected but rich region: Southwestern Pennsylvania and Northwestern West Virginia. Most of the material lay unsung in archives, until Dearest Home brought it to back to life with authenticity and originality in perfect harmony. In their arrangements you can hear the unfolding of the landscape, with its mountains, valleys, waterways, and farm fields, as the past and future walk together.
- Sound Characteristics:
- digital optical
- Digital File Characteristics:
- audio file CD audio
- Title from disc label., Program notes from container., and All songs from the Samuel Bayard Folk Song Collection at Pennsylvania State University, except for Lowlands Away. All tunes from Bayard's Dance to the fiddle, march to the fife, except The back side of Albany and Colonel Montgomery.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Recorded by Paul Chiacchierini and Greg Rocca, Jr.; mixed by Paul Chiacchierini; mastered by Dave Bowden; produced by by Paul Chiacchierini, Margaret Folkemer, and Beth Folkemer; AMP Studies is endoresed by TELEFUNKEN Elektroakoustik.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Dearest Home (Chris Barnabei, acoustic bass ; Chuck Krepley, fiddle, banjo ; Beth Folkemer, guitar, mountain dulcimer, lead and backing vocals ; Margaret Folkemer, pennywhistle, lead and backing vocals ; Stephen Folkemer, concertina, lead and backing vocals) ; guests: Joel Folkemer, lead and backing vocals; Nathan Folkemer, lead and backing vocals, low whistle.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded AMP Studios, McSherrytstown, PA, 2015.
View MARC record | catkey: 18423697