Next gen PhD : a guide to career paths in science / Melanie V. Sinche
- Sinche, Melanie V.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 260 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Part I. Getting to know yourself -- Connecting your interests to careers -- But I have no skills and other myths -- Identifying your personal values -- Part II. Getting to know the world of work -- To postdoc or not to postdoc? -- Career options for PhDs in science -- Strategies for exploring careers and building experience -- Networking effectively to uncover opportunities -- Part III. Getting started on your job search -- Crafting your individual development plan -- Assembling your application materials and applying for jobs -- Interviewing and negotiating tactics -- Conclusion: Making a successful transition.
- An upper-level degree is a prized asset in the eyes of many employers, and nonfaculty careers once considered Plan B are now preferred by the majority of science degree holders. Melanie Sinche profiles science PhDs across a wide range of disciplines who share proven strategies for landing a rewarding occupation inside or outside the university.--
- 9780674504653 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-249) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18425432