Inventing the Pinkertons ; or, Spies, sleuths, mercenaries, and thugs : being a story of the nation's most famous (and infamous) detective agency / S. Paul O'Hara
- O'Hara, S. Paul
- Additional Titles:
- Spies, sleuths, mercenaries, and thugs
- Baltimore, Maryland : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2016.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vi, 194 pages, 12 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: ch. One In which Allan Pinkerton creates his agency -- The making of Allan Pinkerton -- Allan Pinkerton goes to war -- Crafting the Pinkerton detective -- Conclusion: A detective mythology -- ch. Two In which Pinkerton men become the antiheroes of the middle west -- Mississippi outlaws -- The outlaw Jesse James -- Wild bandits of the border -- Conclusion: Highwaymen of the railroad -- ch. Three In which Pinkerton agents infiltrate secret societies -- A noxious weed of Ireland -- Among the assassins! -- Strikers, communists, tramps, and detectives -- Conclusion: Anarchists and the detectives -- ch. Four In which the Pinks serve as a private army for capital -- The "Pinkerton Force" or detectives on trial -- "Pinkerton is neither more nor less than the head of a band of mercenaries" -- The Knights of Labor and the Pinkerton roughs -- Conclusion: Anarchists and the detectives -- ch. Five In which Pinkerton myrmidons invade Homestead -- The Great Battle of Homestead -- Mr. Frick's hired invaders -- The Pinkerton system is a standing menace to order and good government -- Conclusion: Pinkerton raiders, the advance guard to Poles and Hungarians -- ch. Six In which the disgrace of Pinkertonism is subjected to public scrutiny -- Protecting property from the "tyranny of the Homestead mob" -- Protecting free labor from "this gang of Hessians" -- Protecting society from the "disgrace of Pinkertonism" -- Conclusion: Lessons on corporate management from the mercenaries of the oligarchy -- ch. Seven In which the frontier closes and Pinkerton practices are exposed -- A cowboy detective and a labor spy -- Surrounded with lice, Pinkerton detectives, and other vermin -- Pinking the Pinkertons -- Conclusion: Anarchists and detectives, reconsidered -- ch. Eight In which the modern state takes on the duties of the Pinkerton agency -- Birdy Edwards and the last myth of the Pinkertons -- The modern state and the detectives -- Stool pigeons, company gunmen, and the New Deal -- Conclusion: Dashiell Hammett, Pinkerton -- Conclusion. Pinkerton's Inc.
- 9781421420561 hardcover alkaline paper
1421420562 hardcover alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18648026