Art & industry in early America : Rhode Island furniture, 1650-1830 / Patricia E. Kane ; with Dennis Carr, Nancy Goyne Evans, Jennifer N. Johnson, Gary R. Sullivan
- Additional Titles:
- Art and industry in early America
Rhode Island furniture, 1650-1830
- New Haven : Yale University Art Gallery, 2016.
New Haven ; London : Distributed by Yale University Press
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 494 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps (some color) ; 32 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Kane, Patricia E.
Carr, Dennis (Dennis Andrew)
Johnson, Jennifer N.
Sullivan, Gary R.
Evans, Nancy Goyne
Yale University. Art Gallery
- "A lively experiment": early furniture making of the Narragansett Bay region, 1636-1740 / Dennis Carr -- "Faithfully made of the best materials": cabinetmaking in Rhode Island, 1740-1830 / Patricia E. Kane -- The chairmaking and upholstery trades of colonial and federal Rhode Island / Jennifer N. Johnson -- "On this moment hangs eternity": clockmaking in colonial and early federal Rhode Island / Patricia E. Kane and Gary R. Sullivan -- Windsor chairmaking in Rhode Island, 1760-1830 -- Catalogue.
- This book presents new information on the export trade, patronage, artistic collaboration, and the small-scale shop traditions that defined early Rhode Island craftsmanship. This stunning volume features more than 200 illustrations of beautifully constructed and carved objects-including chairs, high chests, bureau tables, and clocks-that demonstrate the superb workmanship and artistic skill of the state's furniture makers.
- Furniture, Early American—Rhode Island—Exhibitions
- Furniture—Rhode Island—History—17th century—Exhibitions
- Furniture—Rhode Island—History—18th century—Exhibitions
- Furniture—Rhode Island—History—19th century—Exhibitions
- Meubles—Rhode Island—Histoire
- Meubles—Rhode Island—Expositions
- Furniture, Early American
- Rhode Island
- 9780300217841 (hardback)
- Published in conjunction with the exhibition, organized by the Yale University Gallery, held August 19, 2016-January 8, 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 456-477) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18673383